Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Labour weekend mission: Tappy or Tararuas?

Last post 03-10-2007, 7:06 PM by Anonymous. 14 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  25-09-2007, 7:11 PM 2237

Labour weekend mission: Tappy or Tararuas?

Labour weekend is coming up – which commonly means: 3 (in words:three) free days in a row! There has been the rumour that some people were planning on a climb of “Tappy” (Tapuae-O-Uenuku, 2885m, Inland Kaikouras). I would be pretty keen for that, although Alyn suggested a nice mission to Carkeek Hut (as remote as it can get in the Tararuas). Both alternatives do sound awesome, however, if I had the choice – given that the weather is alright – I’d prefer Tappy. So who else is up for that? (You could hoist a pirate flag on the summit... What a Crow's Nest that would be!)

Nicolai

•  26-09-2007, 8:38 PM 2242 in reply to 2237

Re: Labour weekend mission: Tappy or Tararuas?

I was leaning more towards either Mangatepopo or Whanganui bay....
  •  27-09-2007, 12:24 PM 2244 in reply to 2237

What experience would be needed to climb Tappy?
    Katherine Given, kgiven@xtra.co.nz
  •  27-09-2007, 12:50 PM 2245 in reply to 2237

I've been out of the hills for way too long so I'd definitely be keen to do something over Labour weekend. I'm just a wee bit short on climbing experience (read: none whatsoever) though so Tap. is probably out of the question for me, unfortunately.
  •  27-09-2007, 2:57 PM 2247 in reply to 2245

Yeah, Whanganui Bay sounds pretty nice, too, Ollie. But as far as I know you that involves some hardcore climbing til the cows come home - rather than uphill tramping, aye? - As well as some Double Brown consuming and other amenities... As far as Mangatepopo goes: Rocks are flying deep at times over there, which makes climbing more interesting. - Nah, Ruapehu is far enough away I think. (Exactly one year ago, on the 26th September, I stayed at Dome Shelter over night, together with Juho and Dan.)

Those people who made Tappy before and whom I've spoken to said it's not really technical at all. It might involve some cramponing near the top as the Southerlies brought down the snow level considerably but it's more about heaps of river crossings, srambling up debris slopes with wet boots, the possibility of getting stuck if the weather is worsening while you're up there, spending a bit of money for the ferry to get across the Cook Strait and some really awesome views (or none at all) from the top of the highest peak in the Kaikouras, all of which should mean a whole lot of fun. (- No double brown, tho, unless you want to carry it...). So if you are reasonably fit and up for some freaky summit conquering then this might be YOUR trip! (I'm sure you could also RUN up, Hazel...) Or try to spot some remaining dolphins...

•  27-09-2007, 3:18 PM 2250 in reply to 2247

Well if it's non-technical then I must say it sounds mightily tempting (and much more exciting than the boring old Tararuas!).
  •  28-09-2007, 8:08 AM 2255 in reply to 2247

Hey Nicolai,

I am keen to do this mission. Carkeek has to conquered this year, but can probably wait. Could use carkeek as a #2 option?

Timmy

•  28-09-2007, 8:45 AM 2256 in reply to 2255

Yes Tappy certainly does sound inviting, as does Carkeek, although Carkeek could feasibly be done on a mean weekend mission, particularly with daylight saving upon us. But a long weekend is certainly needed for a good attempt at Tappy. 

That said, I've just found out that a group of 18 from the Tararua Tramping Club are booked and confirmed for Tappy this same weekend. They are also equiped for camping, but I think that the huts sleep about 12 and there is minimal camping space. We may also be leaving the ferry bookings a little tight.   

For this reason Carkeek remains an option, as does Whanganui bay for those that are interested, but we may be a little short for Tappy or opt to go a few weeks later?   

Alyn
    027 446 5275
    Alyn.Higgins@hospitalitynz.org.nz
  •  01-10-2007, 8:51 PM 2268 in reply to 2256

Ooh yes, I'm up for this. A spot of tap dancing on top of Tappy is certainly called for. Carkeek hmm but Tappy ya!

Ps Go the Phoenix.

Filed under

Tapping away on Tappy.

•  02-10-2007, 12:31 PM 2273 in reply to 2268

OK, I finally managed to come up with some sort of a plan:

Despite the fact that there will be some sort of a stampede going on with almost the entire Tararua Tramping Club racing up to Tappy Summit on the same day, as well, there seems to be some interest for this trip. Well, I think we'll overtake those guys at some point, anyway... And who needs a hut; I would be happy with a tent or fly - given there is no gale force wind and horizontal rain... It might get a bit cosy otherwhise.

Just checked the Interislander website: They appear to be a lot cheaper than Bluebridge, unless you've got a nice voucher for a free vehicle transport. Cheaper, however, does NOT mean cheap, though. Here is a possible schedule (prices are for 4 persons WITHOUT and (with) vehicle):

Saturday, 20.Oct. Wellington - Picton

8:25am        

11:35am

$280.00 ($440)

Monday, 22 Oct. Picton - Wellington

2:25pm

5:25pm

$300.00 

6:05pm

9:05pm

Sold Out

10:05pm

1:05am

$300.00 ($440)

•  02-10-2007, 12:44 PM 2274 in reply to 2273

Just discovered, that the 6:05pm option on the way back to Welly would be still available IF you take a car across. Price is $440 each way (at each time/ day) which amouts to $880 for the whole trip 4persons plus vehicle, $220pp). But hey, it's the South Island!

If anyone knowes about a good way of getting to the starting point of the tramp by public transport, please let me know ASAP. Would be cheaper than shipping your vehicle back and forth...

Also, I need some sort of a binding confirmation from those people interested in order to make the booking; preferably in the form of cash. As I haven't got a credit card (ooops), could someone else do the final booking, please? Alyn?

Hopefully I can make it to the meeting tonight as I'll be on a field trip later today. Please don't feel discouraged if I shouldn't turn up :)

PS: There can't be a PHOENIX without ash...

•  02-10-2007, 12:59 PM 2275 in reply to 2274

Hey Nicolai,

Blurbridge is running a student special until the end of Nov of $60 for a student and their car and $55 for any additional students. This doesn't run on Labour weekend but if you were kinda flexible and could leave slightly before you'd save a heap.

In terms of transport around South, not sure if they run in the area, but K-bus is pretty cheap and definatley worth the adventure of getting to experience their vehicles and drivers for any period of time :)

Hope it works out for you!

Kate

•  02-10-2007, 1:02 PM 2276 in reply to 2274

While it sounds like it'd be an awesome trip unfortunately the cost looks a bit steep for my student budget at the moment so I'll have to pass on this one.

Some other time maybe...

•  02-10-2007, 1:27 PM 2278 in reply to 2276

Thanks for the hint, Kate!!

Yeah, that would mean $113.33pp both ways for 3people and a car! - How does that sound, Michael?

I'd be flexible with the date, anyway; how about you guys? You probably don't want to take an extra day off, Alyn, aye?

•  03-10-2007, 7:06 PM 2289 in reply to 2278

Right on, guys, looks like the Tappy tapdance trip is postponed for now. Too many people over there at the same place at the same time plus tremendous costs... So it shall be Alyn's suggestion (Carkeek Hut) then. That's absolutely fine with me. I could drive (if I should get a WOF under $250...). Flick me or Alyn an email / private message in case of questions.

Cheers,

Nicolai 

View as RSS news feed in XML